Labels

Sunday, March 6, 2011

A day in Arras with Uncle John

Back in January, I received a Christmas present in the mail from my Uncle and Aunt. As I was telling my Mom about its arrival, she informed me that my Uncle John was actually in London at that time, on a business trip. I immediately emailed him, not only to say thank you, but also to invite his to Arras. It just so happened that he was able to come, and took the train over that weekend for a quick visit. I met him in Lille to help him negotiate the two very different and confusing train stations; Lille Europe and Lille Flandres. Once back in Arras we walked around the Grand'Place, grabbed a bottle of wine at Café Leffe, before heading to our place for a galette diner.

The next day was a Saturday. It was a beautiful day; we were able to do a lot with the short time that we had. We went to the Saturday market, toured the Boves, climbed the Beffroi, and went out for lunch at Café Philosoff, all before going out to tour the Canadian National Vimy Memorial that afternoon!








Above: Views from the Beffroi
Below: The preserved trenches of the Canadian National Vimy Memorial 

                           It was so nice to have family for such a wonderful surprise visit!All photos are courtesy of my Uncle, I forgot the camera!

No comments:

Post a Comment